Edit date: 5 July 2008

Our Journey to the Yellowstone National Park

By Emmaline R.(Current) Bird


The attached document was generated from a copy of the original hand written journal. I

felt it was almost a duty to remind all of us, of some of the things our ancestors did. In

this case, written notes were kept on a fantastic trip. I personally feel, this is a real part of

our heritage. This is a written narration of an arduous and exciting trip through our

country's first National Park in the year 1896. These people were my ancestors..

I have no way of knowing the educational background of Emmaline R.(Current) Bird.

Her "diary", showed she was an excellent speller (better than the editor). She did not

however, use punctuation as we would use it. She ended many sentences without using a

"period", and began most of them without Capitalization. As you can imagine, this made

it difficult to interpret some of the meanings. The original document was written in pencil,

which made it difficult to read in some areas. This caused some concern as to the meaning

of some sentences. We left many of the words as she spelled them, as long as the meaning remained.

I have, with the aid of my brother, William W. (Bill) Everling, been able to re-do the diary

without harming the content.

See a brief "thumbnail" sketch on the life of Emmaline R. (Current) Bird.


She was the Great Grandmother of the Everlings, on our Mothers side of the family.

Her Husband was Lewis Bird.

One of her daughters, was our Grandmother, Flora E. Bird who married Charles L.


They had six (6) children, one of whom was our Mother, Florence Pearl Mougey.


Emmaline mentions the following people in her diary, as those who made the trip.

She talks about these people in very familiar terms, so I know they were all family

relations, except one person who is called out as a friend of the family.

PAPA is her Husband Lewis.

WILL  is the Husband of her daughter Rachel J. (William P. Webster).

ELMO  is the son of Will (Lewis Elmo Webster).

RATIE (Rachel [Bird] Webster) is the wife of William P. Webster

Mr. CALICA was a friend of the family (The spelling of his name is not clear in the


HESSER'S: Emmaline's sister, Arah Matilda was married to William J. Hesser (ed: they are mentioned in the diary because of their "fine choice raspberries")


Charles R. Everling (Great Grandson)


Update 4 July 2008:  The following information was received from Joan (Walters) Zumwalt.  Joan is a great great granddaughter of Emmaline (Current) Bird.  This information was provided to her by Blanche (Mougey) Cross who was the sister of Joan's Grandmother Grace (Mougey) Cross.


"A bit of information before I begin this diary of my Grandmother Bird's trip thru Yellowstone Nat'l Park in 1896.  My grandmother and grandfather Bird were my Mother's parents and lived for years in Union (ed: Nebraska) in the house now occupied by Ray Becker.  They had a daughter "Rachel" whom they called "Ratie" that lived in Cody, Wyo.  Her husband Wm. Webster was a W.S. (ed: Wyoming State) licensed mt. (ed: Mountain) and park guide.

To get there they went by Burlington R.R. from Omaha to Red Lodge, Mont. taking a stage coach from there to Cody.  A long and hard ride.

The trip was made by horse back with pack horses.  Grandma was 65 years old and a short heavy woman weighing about 210 lb.  She hadn't been on a horse for years and had a very bad heart condition.  The party consisted of Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Ratie and Uncle Will, their son Elmo - 17 years old and a friend of his, Grandma refers to as Mr. Calica".




Mrs. Louis (Emmaline R. Current) Bird

On Monday morning August 17th 1896, we were astir early with high

expectations to get started on a journey to the Yellowstone Park.

It rained some in the morning and there were many things to get together, for we

were going horseback and carrying our effects on pack horses and donkeys.

So the time passed and we did not get started till nearly three in the afternoon.

We all mounted our horses and started off single file.

Will took the lead, your Papa next, then myself and Ratie, the packs coming in

after her, and Elmo and Mr. Calica (a young man that went with us) bringing up

the rear.

We traveled ten miles that evening and camped for the night. It was rather novel

for us, as it was our first experience "camping out". It rained some that night and

of course we did not sleep very much that night, for every little noise would waken

us, and I was afraid of snakes.

Tuesday August 18th

We were up early, had our breakfast and were ready to start before Seven.

We traveled about two hours on a beautiful valley, and crossed the river (South

fork of the Stinking Water) and started up through the Mountains. We went up a

lovely stream called "The Ishawooa", and followed it all the way to the summit

where it finds it's source in a bed of snow.

That 18th day of Aug. will always be remembered by our party. It being the

hardest days travel on our trip.

We went on the margin of the river when there was room, but when the hills

crowded the stream, we went upon the sides of the hills. Not on a road but a trail

not more than a foot wide. Of course these places were narrow, not more than 1/2


Then we would come down to the river again. We had to cross some awful "Wash

out's" which cloud bursts or water spouts had made. The dirt and rocks had been

thrown out from 8 to 20 feet.

It was rather hard traveling over these places, at least I found it so, as I had not

become an expert on horse back yet.

About noon, we came to a nice little meadow where Will said we could stop for

dinner. The boys went to the river to get some fish, but Will would not wait for

the fish. He knew what we had before us and wanted to get started. On we


In an hour or so we had a pretty rough steep trail. Some of it was so steep I

preferred walking. Your Papa would get down and walk with me. Some times

Ratie would.

We saw a gap in the Mountain that we thought would take us through, and we

would find it more level. The gap was so steep and rocky, I thought, than I would

walk through it. Will had gone ahead and was out of sight.

Well we started up, but in stead of going through, it went up-up-up. I had about

given out when Will came to my rescue. He had a long rope and placed it double

around my waist. He took hold of the ends, told me to keep on my feet and he

would take me up, so I got along real well. But it was rather tough on the boy.

We were about two hours getting over and when we were near the top, it rained a

heavy shower, such as it can only in the mountains. We stopped under a big pine

tree. We were all very tired when we got into camp.

Although the days travel had been hard for us, we had seen some of the finest

mountain scenery in the West. I would not have it blotted out of my memory for

all the hard ships it cost us.

We camped that night in a little flat near the Ishawooa and another river or stream

that came down from the mountains.

Now you wonder how we can be on the same stream after passing over a high

mountain. Well if you could have seen the beautiful water falls we (have) seen,

you would not wonder.

That evening the boys picked up some red raspberries for supper. They were like

those fine choice ones of Hessers. I tell you the berries and the fish the boys got

at noon, with what we had made a fine repast.

Wednesday August 19th

This morning we got up very much refreshed, had our breakfast and were ready to

start about nine.

I, will sure say Will was guide, cook, and did most of the packing, as the boys are

new hands, and it takes just about an hour to pack.

We had such a hard drive the day before, we concluded to take only one drive that

day, and we came into camp about two o'clock, but we had a nice days travel.

We had only one bad place that was on a side hill when there was loose shaley

rocks for about 1/4 of a mile. We had a lovely place to camp on a nice meadow

between two mountains, where there were plenty of wild strawberries and the

pasture was grand for the horses.

It was fortunate for us that it was such a nice place, for we had to stay over till

Friday, on account of the rain.

Here we are in sight of the summit and the head of the Ishawooa, about 200 yards

from our tent we saw where a bear had slept the night before, and the first night we were there,

a mountain lion came near enough to play with one of the colts, but we had a good

dog that kept everything away from camp.

Thursday August 20th

Was in camp all day and in sight of tons of snow.

Friday August 21st

Still clouds this morning but left camp at ten to go over the summit as it leaves the

lovely stream we have been following since Tuesday morning.

The hill we go over is steep and long but not rocky. It took just and hour from the

time we started up till we got on the top where the snow was plentiful.

It was not cold and the snow was melting till there was quite a stream running

from it. But Will said it never all went off.

We stopped to rest a little and had a lovely view toward the North West.

We commenced going down, but it was so gradual we hardly noticed it. We had

not gone far when we had another shower and snow mixed with it. It rains so

easily in the mountains. We traveled on till about one o'clock when we saw a

drove of elk. Will killed one of them and we camped so as to dress it. Our

camping place was on one branch of the Yellowstone above the lake.

Saturday August 22nd

After a refreshing nites sleep, we arose and prepared for another days travel which

would finish out the first week.

The morning was bright and clear.

We traveled down the Yellowstone toward the lake. The fore noon was beautiful

and the trail splendid, but in the afternoon it was not so good.

We had to cross a flat swampy country. The springs were in the foot hills. We

would have to go way up around them and then back down on the flat that was

covered with low willows that was very disagreeable to ride through.

We traveled till almost six o'clock before we found a fit camping place to stay over

Sunday. But we came to a nice place on the main Yellowstone above the lake.

The boys caught some fish. The first we had since Tuesday, and Will dug a hole

in the gravel to bake some beans.

He built a big fire in the hole and when it got hot and full of coals, he had some

beans ready, put them in the crock over filled with water. Took out part of the

coals, set the oven on the rest and covered it tight and piled the coals on top of the

cover and dirt on the coals. The next morning we had some good baked beans.

Sunday August 23rd

On Sunday the boys went out on the bank of the river and found some specimens

of petrified wood. Ratie and I stayed in camp all day and rested. It was real cool

and pleasant.

Monday August 24th

We enjoyed it so much, but glad when Monday morning 24 came so we could

resume our journey. After the usual routine of the morning, we started on again.

We had not gone far when we came in sight of a fine large deer. We got very near

to it but as we were in the limits of the Park, we dare not shoot, so we passed him


We soon came to a surveying outfit, the first sight of human beings since we left

home. They had two women, wives of two of the surveyors.

There was nothing eventful happened that day. We had nice weather and was in

the timber most of the day. The loveliest pine trees, almost higher than one could

see. Straight as an arrow and without a limb till nearly the top.

In the afternoon we saw the Yellowstone lake for the first time. It is much larger

than I expected to see. We got to its banks in the evening and camped for the


It was such a lovely sight for me as it was the first large body of water I had ever

seen. It is 7741 feet above sea level. There were a great many pelicans on the

lake. They looked on the water like little sail boats, they were so large. We had a

good view of the lake from where we camped.

Tuesday August 25th

Early this morning, Will saw where someone was camping about 1/2 mile below

us, and our provisions were getting low. He went to see them, supposing they

were keeping a commissary and he could get a supply. Two men came back with

him to camp and said they dare not sell anything but if we would go with them,

they would keep it a secret, for if it would be found out, it would give them


We left camp about 10 o'clock and went over a high hill and came down on the

lake shore near the water, where we traveled 6 or 8 miles. Pretty soon after we

reached the shore we saw a boat out on the water. We saw they were trying to

head us off . When it came near we all stopped and they landed.

They were soldiers and came to examine our packs to find out if we had been

killing anything or getting any commissary goods. So those fellows would have

been found out if Will had not taken the pains to remove all labels from the goods

and they could not tell them from any other goods.

Though they found the boys guns were not sealed and took them from them. It is

the rules of the park to have all guns sealed when entering the park, but as we had

not passed a sealing station of course ours were not sealed. It caused us some

trouble and delay, of which I will hear after.

We had dinner on the lake shore, and then started up through the timber, which

was a grand sight. We traveled rather late that evening expecting to get a nice

place to camp, but was disappointed.

We crossed a nice little stream and stopped at a horrid gloomy place in the timber.

It was the best we could do, but we didn't any of us like it. Not even the horses,

for in the night they went off and started on the back trail, but they did not go far

and we got them with out much trouble, and was ready to leave camp.

Wednesday August 26th

At 7:30 we went up through the timber and early in the fore noon, we came to a

place where it was so steep, and the timber had fallen across the trail. We seemed

to be at a stopping place, but we all got off our horses and climbed down the best

we could.

It would be impossible for me to describe the place on paper, but we all finally got

down alive and without accident, and had our first sight of hot springs.

They were real small, not more than two or three feet across. We thought they

were wonderful, but Will laughed at us and told us to come on, they were not

worth looking at, and they were insignificant when compared with what we saw


We soon came down on the lake again and found lots of nice raspberries. We got

off and picked enough for dinner.

We crossed over a high point that is called Steam Boat Point.

It was awfully grand. The steam came out of the side next to the lake, and so

much steam. The hill or mountain seemed to be all rock, and the holes where the

steam came out of were in the rocks.

We crossed above all this steam on a narrow trail. Will got off and led my horse

across. I suppose he thought it would keep me from being scared. I was not

scared till we got passed and I looked back and "oh my", it was awful. I wouldn't

pass it again for money. All that afternoon we had a hard trail. Anyone that ever

went through down(ed) timber in a pine forest can have some idea of what we had,

and we were glad when night found us on the bank of the Yellowstone river below

the lake, where we camped for the night.

Thursday August 27th

We forded the river this morning. It almost frightened me, as I am afraid of water.

It came up to the stirrups and I don't know how wide. It may be 50 yards or 100, I

can't tell, and runs so swift. When we got across, we had to go up the river nearly

as far as across it to where the bank was, so the horses could get out.

But your Papa, Ratie and I got off and climbed up the steep stony bank, rather than

ride any more in the river.

As soon as we were on top of the bank, we were in the Park proper, where they

have nice graded roads.

We had left the trail behind us forever on the other side of the river, but we are not

sorry we came over the trail through the mountains.

For we saw sights we could not have seen, had we come the wagon road. But we

decided to go home on the road.

There is but one wagon road that goes into the Park (except the stage road from

Cinnabar) and that goes in from the N.E. corner.

After we went over into the park, we went about a mile and went into camp. We

were four miles from Lake Hotel.

Will had to go there to see about the guns. When he got there, the captain was

away and the soldiers could not seal them, for it was not a sealing station, or give

them up. Neither could they let us go, so we had nothing else to do but wait.

We camped the first night where there was a haying outfit camping. There were 4

or 5 tents of them. That night there was a bear into camp. It came to our tent first

as we were nearest the timber, but our dog ran it off. It went to the next tent and

helped himself to what it wanted. Sugar, lard, preserves, and other things. The

tent was kind of a kitchen where no one slept.

Friday August 28th

This A.M. we concluded to go near the soldiers quarters where we could see more

and could keep better posted concerning our delay. We camped on a beautiful

elevation near the soldiers camp and not far from the Hotel.

Our outfit went to the Hotel. While we were there, an artist brought out his

camery (editors note: camera) and took our pictures, packs and all.

He promised to send us one.

The place where we camped was a general camping ground. There were 19 or 20

tents, and must have been a 100 people there that night. It seemed rather lively to

what we had been used to.

Saturday August 29th

At 8 this A.M. we went to the lake to take a boat ride. The captain of the boat,

came into camp the evening before and told us they would start at 8, and go 19

miles to Dot Island where they kept animals.

We all went and had a nice time. Saw Buffaloes, Elk, Mountain sheep. One of

the sheep had been hand raised in captivity.

This was one of the pleasures of our trip. We got back to camp with our guns and

were ready to start on our way by noon.

We got to the Mud Geyser about 2 o'clock. It is a wonderful sight. We could hear

it boiling for more than half a mile, and could see the steam before we could hear

it. It is on the side of a hill, perhaps 80 feet across and a formation 8 or 9 feet high

around it. We could go on this and look in. The dark gray mud seemed to boil out

from under a great rock and then fall back. It was awful.

Just below it was a boiling spring, not quite so large, but acted about the same

way. It came from under a great rock, and boiled up. The water was as clear as


But why need I attempt to describe these wonderful works of nature. No one can

describe them.

There were 30 or 40 visitors at the same place, while we were there. We stayed

about half an hour, and if it had been the only place we wanted to see, we could

have enjoyed it longer.

But there was more ahead, so we started on and traveled 10 miles that afternoon

and came to the Grand Canyon Hotel, near the Yellowstone Falls. There are three

falls. The Upper, Lower and Crystal. Two are on the Yellowstone river. The

Crystal comes out from a rock. It must have sunk in the ground some where we

did not see and came out under the road. It was a lovely sight.

We camped about half a mile from the Hotel and stayed over Sunday.

Sunday August 30th

We went out a while in the morning to get a better view of the falls. We went to

Lookout Point and had a very good view, but it commenced to rain and we had to

get back to camp. It rained most of the day.

Monday August 31st

This morning was clear and cool. We started early for Norris Basin, the next place

of interest. The roads are splendid through the park and we traveled rather slow.

A little before noon we came to the Gibbon river where we saw the Virginia

Cascade. It is a lovely, nearly 100 feet long and about 30 degree slope. The water

is a white foam.

On the other side of the road was a solid rock wall. There was just enough room

between the wall and the falls for the road, and outside next (to) the river was

banistered to prevent accidents.

We stopped for dinner this side of Norris and then went on through the basin. We

did not stop long as we expected to pass it again.

There is one Geyser near the road that frightened me. There was a continued

escape of steam, more than a dozen engines could blow off at once, and made a

noise you could hear for 2 or 3 miles. We could not see any water escape, but the

road was muddy all the time. We went to camp that night on Gibbon Meadows

about four miles from this basin.

Tuesday Sept 1st

We left camp this A. M. for Upper Geyser Basin. Twenty nine miles from Norris.

We went through the Lower and Midway basin. At the Lower Basin, we saw the

Mammoth Paint Pots and several other geysers off in the distance. The paint pots

is a great large basin of mud of different colors that bubble up like thin mush.

Each color by itself, they do not mix.

At Midway basin we saw the wonderful Excelsior. Its eruption is 250 ft. But at

long intervals, some years between times.

It is only the fortunate ones that get to see it play. Although the boiling water is

flowing out in three great streams, enough to make quite a river.

The Turquoise springs is beautiful, of a bluish color, and is 100 ft. in diameter.

Then the Prismatic lake is wonderful, it is 250 ft. one way and 350 ft the other.

These springs or boiling lakes run into the Firehole river and of course keeps it's

water warm.

We got to Upper basin a little past six in the evening, and went into camp just

beyond Old Faithful. A very noted geyser from its continual faithful eruptions. It

plays every 70 minutes and throws up water 150 feet. It's duration is from 5 to 15


We all went out to see him play before we had our supper.

Wednesday Sept 2nd

This day we spent around the geyser and boiling springs of this basin. Some of

them played at regular intervals, others were irregular and of course some

important ones we did not get to see play. We saw Old Faithful several times,

the Lioness, and one of the cubs, the Economy, the Sawmill, the Castle, and Castle

well, and several others that I forget their names.

The boiling springs are so pretty, almost every color you can see. The formations

are grand. It seems to me we could have stayed two weeks and seen something

new every hour, but time was passing, and we had to go.

We left in the evening in time to get back to Midway, about 6 miles from here.

We camped that night near Excelsior.

Thursday Sept 3rd

We leave camp this A.M. to travel the same road we came over Tuesday. It is a

lovely road. We go down the Firehole river to near where it empties into the

Gibbon river. Then we go up the Gibbon, through a lovely canyon where we pass

the Gibbon Falls and the Soda Springs.

The boys got off to take a drink of it. Some of them liked it, but I did not. We

passed Beryl Springs. There are hot springs near the road. They are beautiful.

We got back to Norris to camp that night and as I was real tired and had seen so

much, I stayed in camp, but your Papa, Ratie, and Will went out to the basin to see

Old Monarch play. He plays twice in 24 hours, and his time was about 9 o'clock,

though he varies, some times and hour. They had to wait until 10, but they felt

well, for it was the grandest sight they had seen. At the Norris basin, we saw the

Minute Man, the Black Growler (it is the one that throws the steam), the new

crater, the Vixen and several others that were just as grand.

Friday Sept 4th

We started this A.M. for the Mammoth Hot Springs. A distance of 20 miles. The

roads were nice and the day cool. The first we came to of note were the Twin

Lakes. They are small but are so near alike. One is littler than the other. Then the

Roaring Mountain. There are some Geysers on the top of it, that makes a roaring

noise from whence it gets its name, and the Beaver Lake. It is full of willows and

Beaver dams. We next came to Obsidian Cliff. It is a curiosity. On the (one)

nearest the road, it looks like black glass. On the other side, the rocks are of

different colors. We got some specimens of both. We stopped for dinner on

Obsidian Creek, near the famous Apollinarus Springs. Will got some fish for

dinner. They were the Rainbow trout, and very fine. In the evening when we

were (with) in 4 miles of the Mammoth Springs, we came in to the Golden Gate.

It is a (man) made road winding through the canyon. I suppose it is about 1 1/2

miles from the entrance to the foot or outlet, and we went down 1100 feet. It is

very narrow and the road is cut out of solid rock. Often it is not more than 20 feet

till it makes a turn and at all of these, the road is made wide enough for wagons to

pass. The side next to the precipice is all banistered to prevent accidents. The

Glen Creek runs through the canyon. It is a lovely sight to see how fast it falls.

This road cost the government $14000. We camped about a mile from the springs.

Saturday Sept 5th

This A.M. we went to the Springs, they are not half so grand as some we had seen,

but the formations are so high and large, I suppose that is why they are called


We went to the Soldiers quarters and saw them on parade. It was rather amusing.

We got a supply of provisions and was ready to start on our homeward journey.

We had been wonderfully entertained but was glad to get started home. Our

journey would be on the wagon road that had been well traveled. There had been

7000 people visited the Park, and registered before us, and a great many had come

over this road. We traveled 20 miles that day, and camped near Yanceys on the

Yellowstone, the only residents of the Park. We were in sight of Mt. Washburn

and several other prominent mountains. During the day we had a lovely place to

camp and expected to stay over Sunday. The boys caught a lot of fish. In the

evening Elmo took sick and Sunday morning, there was a lady came to our camp

in a buggy, going to Cook city. She offered to take him with her so we than

thought it best to let him go, and we had to travel part of Sunday, to get to Cook on

Monday. (editors note; She spelled it as "Cook" and not "Cooke")

Sunday Sept 6th

We left camp at 10 A.M. and traveled 15 miles. Went into camp at 4 P.M.. We

went most of the way, without crossing any streams. We saw a large drove of

Antelope. There must have been 25 or 30. We were still in sight of Mt.

Washburn. It is a very high peak. We passed Fossil Forest.

We could see some of the petrified stumps. We camped at Soda Butte near where

the soldiers have their quarters, and 15 miles from the Park limits, and 20 miles

from Cook.

Monday Sept 7th

We left camp early and went up through a lovely canyon. After we had been

traveling several miles, we came to some funny little cabins. I kept wondering

what they were for. They were uninhabitable. Finally Will said they belonged to

miners, but were vacated now. Cook city is a silver mining town. There were not

more than 15 or 20 houses, and they are all log cabins, and a horrid looking place.

They are not doing much mining now but I suppose they think if they get a "free

silver President", things will liven up. But I don't see how it can when there is no

Rail Road near, nor never can be till the Government will let them have one

through the Park. We got to Cook about 3 o'clock and found Elmo better and able

to travel. And as we were on the homeward stretch, we did not tarry long, but

went on 9 or 10 miles farther and camped on a nice meadow on Clarks Fork,

where there was a little forest of pine extended into the meadow. It misted rain

that night and we were afraid we would be caught in a storm.

Tuesday Sept 8th

This day we passed through some rough country. We passed two ranches, one a

hay, the other cattle. The boys tried to get some butter, but could not. It was real

cold and cloudy all day and the wind blew hard in some places, but we did not

suffer much. We had on plenty of clothing and put on the men's over coats. It

snowed some in the after noon. We traveled rather late that evening as we were

looking for a stream, and wanted to get as near home as we could. We camped on

a little stream near the timber and had some more cooked beans that night.

Wednesday Sept 9th

Got up this morning and found about 3 inches of snow and still snowing, and we

were 60 or 70 miles from home, and a hard days travel before us. It stopped

snowing and we left camp about nine. Early in the day we went over a steep high

hill and came down on Cradle Creek, and crossed it and Sunlight creek, and at

noon we came to Dead Injun (editors note: Indian) hill. The snow had all gone off before we

got to the hill, and it was not one bit muddy. I could not see where it went to.

When we crossed Sunlight creek, we stopped and got some nice raspberries.

It was a good thing, for we did not stop for dinner that day.

We started up the hill at just 12 o'clock and it was 15 minutes past one when we

got to the top.

When we were about half way up we came into a snow cloud. The snow was 3 or

4 inches deep and the clouds so dense we could not see the back horses, when we

were in front. After we went over the summit, we went down more gradual.

It must have been 4 o'clock before we got down below the cloud. It did look so

strange but we regretted very much that it happened so. We wanted so much to

see Dead Injun hill, that we had heard so much about.

We went on to Mr. Chapmans ranch that night. Will thought it best for your Papa,

Ratie and I to sleep in a house, as it was rather stormy and of course we did not

object. Mrs. C. is a lovely, and made it as pleasant as possible for us. They have a

large cattle ranch and Mr. C. had gone to Chicago with I don't know how many car

loads of beef cattle. They have the largest ranch in this part of Wyoming. She

gave Ratie 5 or 6 pounds of butter, (she would not need it).

Thursday Sept 10th

We started for home about 10 in the morning and arrived at home all sound and

well at 9:15 at night. A distance of more than 40 miles from Chapmans.

We were so thankful to the God of Love that we had been preserved through all

the hardships and danger we have gone through.

Out of the 25 days we had been out, we had rested 7 and traveled more than 350

miles on horse back and not been sick a moment. And after a few days rest, we

felt none the worse of our trip.

We saw many wonderful things and are so thankful we were permitted to see the

wonderful Yellowstone Park, and to go the way we did.

We stood the trip so well, of course we were tired many times, but always felt

rested in the morning, after sleeping on the hard ground at night.

I suppose we were the only couple 65 years old, that ever visited there on horse

back and traveled the distance we did.

We were complimented several times on account of our nerve and bravery while

we were at the Park.

Mr. and Mrs. Louis Bird

To read a thumb nail sketch about Emmaline (Current) Bird  "Key Here"

If you have any comments about this Diary, please email: mailto:chareve@mninter.net

You can also see my Home Page at: http://www.mninter.net/~chareve/

Updated on 5 July 2008